Moving on from Caring

Residential Care

If you’re looking for a residential care home, there’s a huge variety of options available. There are permanent care homes for older people, homes for younger adults with disabilities, and homes for children.

Care homes may be privately owned or run by charities or councils. Some will be small care homes based in home-like domestic dwellings, while others will be based in large communal centres.

One of the first options you have to consider when choosing residential care is whether you need the care home to provide nursing care, or just standard personal care.

Continuing care

What is Continuing Care?

Continuing Care means care provided over an extended period of time to an adult to meet physical or mental health needs arising from disability, accident or illness.

If the main need for care relates to health, the NHS is responsible for providing for all care needs (“fully funded NHS care”), which could mean you are eligible for free NHS Continuing Healthcare, rather than having to pay for local authority community care support. This healthcare can be provided in any setting; home, care or nursing home.

The National Service Framework for Continuing Care

On 1 October 2007 the government introduced a new national framework and guidance for determining eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare, which is a package of services arranged and funded by the NHS for people outside hospital with ongoing health needs. The aim is to provide fairer and more consistent access to NHS funding across England, so that people with equal needs have an equal chance of having their care needs met free of charge.


When you feel prepared to deal with the formalities following the death of a person you have cared for, our Carer Support Officers are her to offer advice and emotional support.  You may also find helpful information and support services through your local library and from the organisations below.

Carers Trust – offer information and advice on what to do following a bereavement or loss of a loved one

More Adult Carer Information